Older adults are more prone to various disease and condition. These conditions cannot be stopped, but as long as they have the will and drive to change lifestyle, get enough exercise, healthy diet, eat nutritious foods and always positive, they can prevent arthritis. As you know arthritis are some of the common conditions that most elders experience.
Before you start some activities or exercise, it is best to consult your doctor of chiropractic to provide you tips and guidelines. Included in the activities that older adults must do are dance, stretching, weight lifting, aerobic, swimming, bicycle ridding and walking. These activities can enhance the muscle to be strong and reduce the chances of developing arthritis or lessen the symptoms for people who already have arthritis. These exercises and activities are proven to be safe and effective. It can be done for 30 minutes or lower for 3 times per week. However, there can be pain and swelling. If these effects are severe consult your chiropractor, they can adjust the exercise program and determine the best activities suited for your individual needs.
Nutrition for the Rheumatoid Arthritis Patient
The medications for arthritis help to slow the development of disease and suppress immune system. However, for alternative approach like manual manipulation or chiropractic medicine, the nutrition and other supplements are very important. In fact there’s a research that shows an adequate nutrition can slow the development of rheumatoid arthritis.
The following are some of the important foods and supplements to fight rheumatoid arthritis:
- Fatty-acid like gamma linolenic acid (GLA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) are effective supplements that reduce joint swelling or pain, which reduces the demand for corticosteroids.
- Foods like borage seed, halibut, herring, tuna and salmon are great sources of fatty acids.
- Turmeric has an extract that can prevent inflammation and pain, it is typically used as ingredient for curry dishes.
- Ginger extract is very effective to lessen inflammation.
- Nettle leaf extract is also an effective to lessen inflammation.
- Vegetarian diet is also one of the best ways to manage the rheumatoid arthritis too.
Before you follow the above mentioned tips, be sure to consult your physician if some of these are appropriate for your condition. Do not “self-prescribe” because it may cause danger to your health, especially if you have a certain allergies on some foods or medications you want to try or use.
What Can Your Doctor of Chiropractic
In the occasion that you have rheumatoid arthritis, your chiropractor can assist you an individualized care or exercise program that can help you increase the tone and strength of your muscle, improve your endurance and flexibility and helps to restore your motion that has been affected by the condition. In addition, chiropractors can also help you know the right supplements and nutrition to control and prevent the inflammation of the joint.