During the early decades, osteoporosis was considered an illness that only affected only the elders. But not now, recently, there is some research and studies shows that even younger women can be affected by osteoporosis. In fact, there are approximately 20 million women in America are suffering from osteoporosis and the large portion of that population does not even know that they have it.
Osteoporosis is a long-term and progressive condition that decreases the bone from the body, which can lead to fractures of the wrist, spine and hip. Older people may suffer disability or even death, which can be cause by fractures from osteoporosis injuries. Surprisingly, women are more prone to develop osteoporosis.
In addition some people are being confused with the difference of arthritis and osteoporosis, some patient will just consult the physician when they already felt the pain and discomfort into the joints. Although, osteoporosis is generally painless, the pain starts when a bone fracture starts. That is why it is very essential to know and determine how you can maintain healthy bones or adjust lifestyle to prevent bone disease. The following are some of the effective tips in order to maintain healthy bones:
- In order to maintain a healthy body, start your regular exercise like aerobics, swimming, racquet sports, jogging, skipping rope and walking are very important ways to lessen the risk of osteoporosis. Exercising for 3 times a week, which is 20 minutes is very ideal
- Even thought weigh lifting exercises is good, the National Osteoporosis Foundation suggest that people who have osteoporosis must consult first their chiropractor before they start weight lifting because it may cause severe strain to the bones.
- Tai Chi is a certain type of martial arts that can be beneficial for patient suffering from severe fractures. It can be very beneficial to strengthening the muscles and bones.
- People with osteoporosis must be able to avoid lifting objects or children on a wrong position. Consult your chiropractor for a proper lifting to avoid danger.
- Make sure to add calcium to your every day diet. The recommended amount of calcium that senior citizen must take should be 1,500 mg per day.
If calcium supplement is your choice, it is best to take the ones that are highly absorbable like citrates, glutarates, succinates, fumarates, malates and hydroxyapatite microcrystalline concentrate. However, when taking these supplements make sure to do not overuse it because it may cause kidney stones.
- Taking additional supplements like silica, zinc, magnesium, vitamin C and D.
- Eat a balanced and healthy diet, always include fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts like turnip greens, cabbage, collard greens, kale, broccoli, grains, sardines, salmon, tofu., low-fat milk, yogurt and drink 8 to 10 glass of water everyday.