The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services had suggested that ergonomics is a science that deals with appropriate workplace conditions as well as for employees to fulfill their duties and capability to do their task. Ergonomic is basically an assessment that evaluates the physical work environment, after an assessment changes should be implemented. The main principle of ergonomics is to make the workplace compatible for every worker. It is also an effective method to improve the employee’s performance, productivity and safety. In other words, the more comfortable the worker while at work, the more they can be productive.
The three basic principles of ergonomics
1. When lifting an object, be sure that you can do the job because lifting can caused severe stress to the muscles.
2. In any work activities, worker must be comfortable and use not only one but several positions because single position and posture can cause the muscle fatigue. Then the area is more prone to injury.
3. When executing task, it is very essential to keep the joints into its neutral posture. Atypical stress to the join may cause injury and stress as well.
When working at a desk, try these suggestions for greater comfort:
1. Make sure that your desk is in proper height and position, all the things on the desk must be accessible.
2. The feet must be touching the ground, the body should be on an angle of 90 – 110 degrees.
3. Your body should be straight and the neck and head should be upright looking forward not on the side, avoid being slouch or hunch.
4. The height of your computer monitor should be the on your eye level, leaning the head forward may cause pain to the neck and headache.
5. When you are typing, your wrist should be straight and the shoulder must be vertical to the ground as well as the forearms.
6. When reading, make sure to use paper holder or bookstand to maintain the position of your eyes.
7. During your phone calls, use as headset as much as possible, especially if you talk for a extended periods. Holding the phone between shoulder and cheek can lead to headaches and neck pain.
8. Make sure to take a rest once in a while like stretching and walking for every 30 minutes to prevent pain.
9. As much as possible take a small break more often such as stretching your legs, back, wrist and back. Some of the effective stretches are shoulder shrugs, arm dangles, fist clenches and neck rotations.
10. If your job requires you to look or concentrate on a certain object for a long period, it is best to relax the eye muscles by changing your focus from an object that is closer to the object that you are looking. This can avoid eye strain.
Chiropractors can help
If you wanted to make sure some other appropriate ergonomics in the workplace, you can contact the nearest chiropractor in your area. As you know, chiropractors are trained and licensed professionals that can guide you and provide you essential ergonomics at the workplace.